Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Give it a chance...

I've been a pretty big downer recently. I am sorry for that. I am not usually the type that whines and complains and is super lame on the internet. I rather dislike those people. I feel like they are trying to get attention. I will admit that I have been one of those people for the last little while. Again, I am sorry.

I am not one to make excuses, but let me first explain a little why I have been such a weeny recently. Two months ago, I was feeling very on top of the world. I was in my last semester of school. I was rocking my internship that, at the time, I thought was going to turn into a job. I was at the start of a relationship that I thought could actually go somewhere. I was in a really good place. Everything seemed to be finally going my way. All of my hard work and patience was finally paying off. And I was loving it.

Well that super on top of everything and totally rocking it all lasted for about a month. Then my relationship ended. I graduated and all of a sudden had nothing to do. I found out that my internship wasn't going to turn into anything. I went from my highest of highs to my lowest of lows in a very short amount of time. I lost focus of what I was doing and where I was going.

There it is. I was wallowing in my self pity and lameness. But I'm kind of over it now. I hate feeling like that. I am not a helpless little girl anymore. I am a grown woman that can take control of her life and make it what she wants, even if life isn't always willing to cooperate.

I will admit, I didn't get this new kick in the butt awakening on my own. I have been reading this book... Now before you roll your eyes, inwardly groan, and move on because self help books are so lame and don't actually help and only hippies use them...just hear me out for a little longer.

I was a huge member of the self help book stuff is totally lame club too! A very happy member. I am very much the type that doesn't like to look for help, doesn't ask for help, and fully believes I can do it all myself. I don't need some hippie to tell me how beautiful and special I am and all I have to do is hug myself everyday and life will be perfect! Ew. Lame. No thank you.

Well a few months ago, I went to a book store and was just wandering around, when I came across a book. It was bright yellow, so it was hard to miss. Then I read the title..."You are a BADASS." It kind of caught my attention. It made me laugh. I mean that is one heck of a title. So I picked it up and read the back. I cringed a little once I realized it was one of those lame-o self help kind of deals. But I couldn't get over the title! haha! I am such a dork!

Anyway..I bought the book and have been reading it on and off for the last few months. More so recently because I have been all down and in very much need of a pick me up of any kind. 

Well.. I have become more open to the self help books. At least this one. The author, Jen Sincero, I super cool. She is super blunt and straight forward. She is very much a real person. She admits that she thought the self help stuff was crazy and weird. She puts in her personal experiences. And she swears. Ha! I think she is kind of great! 

So my point to this whole long deal is..give it a chance. If you are feeling lost and kind of lame and don't totally know what you are doing with your life anymore...read this book. Or find another self help book. They really aren't all too awful. They can be pretty helpful and just the kick in the butt that you need to get yourself out of your pity party rut and back on the right track. 

Til next time!

-MJ

No comments:

Post a Comment