Saturday, May 12, 2012

Officially lasted one year...

May 10, 2012

It was a big day for me. 

I have officially lasted one year without a migraine.

Now this doesn't seem like it should matter so much. Migraines aren't that big of a deal you might say. Well they are, for me.

You see, I have what they call Sporadic Hemiplegic Migraines. Ha ya big fancy name. Well these fancy-name migraines are....awful. That's the easiest way to say it. 

Sporadic Hemiplegic Migraines are medically defined as "migraine attacks associated with some degree of motor weakness/hemiparesis during the aura phase and where no first degree relative (parent, sibling or child) has identical attacks." (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15566415)

Basically I get intense pain PLUS all of the symptoms of a stroke. The right side of my body goes numb and I can't use it. I lose my vision. I have trouble understanding what people are saying. And I talk gibberish.

Sounds like fun huh?

They come completely randomly which makes them even more scarey. But I have found that if I can eat well, sleep well, and keep my stress down, I am less likely to get one, but being a senior in high school with only a few more weeks of school that is kinda hard to do. So not having one for a full year is a really big deal.

One day I will explain the whole story. But for now I just want to be thankful for this blessed migraine free year. For a year without pain and panic. For a year of a little more peace.

And to look forward to hopefully another year of no migraines!

-Megan 

No comments:

Post a Comment